[time-nuts] What's the best Windows 10 ntp client?

Oz-in-DFW lists at ozindfw.net
Fri Sep 2 10:19:59 EDT 2016

On 9/2/2016 1:29 AM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> At my amateur radio club we have Internet access via a WiFi dongle with a Pay As You Go card. A Windows 10 PC is only powered up while we are there, so on around 2-4 hours per week.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be the most suitable software to run on our Windows 10 PC to set the time correct?
>
> Someone installed "Dimension 4"
>
> http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/
>
> As far as I can see, this takes the time from one single NTP server, which I believe is not a good idea.  However,  given we only run the PC on 2-4 hours per week,  maybe no ntp client will work well,  but I would have thought using multiple servers being better than one.
>
> I am wondering if anyone has any better suggestions for software. .
>
> Dave.

<sound of Kevlar suit zipping up>

The key to my response is your (reasonable) request for "most suitable."

Given your scenario, I suspect the most demanding need for time is file
system coordination and possibly logging software time stamping.
Operating on that assumption, and that you are running on a "WiFi
Dongle" which I suspect is actually a cellular data card, the native
syncing capability of Win10 combined with the PC's real time clock is
probably more than adequate. It's also probably going to be more
economical as it will be considerably less 'chatty' that serious NTP
clients.

I know this doesn't meet the standards of time-nuttery, but it's
probably more than adequate for this particular application.

Oz (N1OZ, in DFW) standing next to the fire extinguisher.

mailto:oz at ozindfw.net
Oz
POB 93167
Southlake, TX 76092 (Near DFW Airport)