[time-nuts] Tbolt issues

EWKehren at aol.com EWKehren at aol.com
Sun Sep 11 08:07:23 EDT 2016

Yes Charles
I was not part of or following the original Tbolt  discussions. My setup at
the time was Loran C with Austron 2110, backed up with  Cs and 60 Khz using
a Tracor 599H. My work was focused on FRK FRS Rb’s using  Shera with very
good results. At the same time Juerg was using a PRS10  controlled by a Tbolt
and feeding a OSA FO3/8600. With the demise of Loran C I  switched to Tbolt
feeding the 2110 because I did see the frequency jumps.  Juerg’s PRS10 died
a year ago and he replaced it with his Tbolt, expecting the  FO3 to clean
up the Tbolt. After disappointing results on some of our work urged  him to
do a cross matrix on all his sources and found out the FO3 did nothing to
the Tbolt He bought his first one through Tarp. I bought 1 for him and 2 for
me  all US sellers.
Off list Tom has looked at Juergs data and we and he are  convinced that
antenna and equipment is good. We have used auto tune and  variable settings.
On our to do list was temperature control and clean up loop.  In order to do
an analog clean up we need short interval changes and that is why  I went
on the list since we have not been able to do it and looking at past  posting
have not found data that will get us there. For our work frequency has  to
be better than 1 E-11 one second, he had it with the PRS 10 setup. Unless
some one can help us with settings that make analog loop clean up possible we
 will not revisit Tbolt. Juerg will use it as an excellent 1pps source and
I will  use it with the 2110 which is digital and has a 100 second  loop.We
are already refocusing on work on a FRK/M100 GPSDO plan on having it up and
 running with in a month, waiting for boards. Last two years distracted by
clean  up of the Shera code before releasing it, controller for FE 5680 5650
and FE  405.

In a message dated 9/10/2016 5:48:49 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
csteinmetz at yandex.com writes:

Bert  wrote:

> Looks like we are not the only ones trying to improve  frequency
> performance and hopefully some one will share  settings.

You are coming very late to the Tbolt party.  There was  a veritable
blizzard of posts about optimizing Tbolt performance, which  began maybe
10 or 11 years ago (??) and lasted for several years, and a  steady
trickle since then.  Everything that is possible to be said  was posted,
often several times.  Go back in the list archives and  read this
material -- it will answer all of your questions (and lots more  that you
haven't asked yet).

Best  regards,

Charles