[time-nuts] Lady Heather's Tbolt oscillator auto-tune function

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Sun Sep 11 14:08:18 EDT 2016

Warren wrote:

> A damping setting in a Tbolt of greater than 2 is not a good idea.

It is if one is only concerned about frequency stability and accuracy
and wants the best performance that can be obtained at tau < about 10
seconds.

> And a TC setting of >1000 is not a good idea unless using the 'extended TC'
> mode.

I did not suggest setting the TC >1000.  My suggesetion was to set the
"recovery" mode "max offset frequency" (the furthest the Tbolt will
allow the oscillator to go off frequency in order to correct the PPS
phase) in that range.  That only affects recovery (speeds it up), it
doesn't do anything during normal operation.  It may not need to be
 >1000, 100 may be plenty.  I do not recall exactly where mine ended up.

Best regards,

Charles