[time-nuts] HP-105B Battery Replacement?

Jeremy Nichols jn6wfo at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 14:04:09 EDT 2016

Brooke, I priced Ni-Cds and was not happy with the numbers: a set of 20
D-size cells will cost me ~US$100 by the time I get them delivered. That
plus the 8-pound weight penalty makes replacement Ni-Cd cells
unattractive. (105A = 16 pounds, 105B = 24 pounds including the battery
box and charging circuitry) There is no question that Ni-Cds are the
answer for anyone attempting to restore a 105B for competition in the
neighborhood Concours d'Elegance.

I do appreciate your work on the relative merits of the various Lithium
types. I was afraid the existing charge circuitry in the 105B would not
mate well with Lithium-anything batteries. Having twice set the house
afire through assorted misadventures (thank goodness for smoke alarms
and fire extinguishers),  I don't want to try for "Number 3".

Jeremy