[time-nuts] Line Frequeny Stablity

David davidwhess at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 12:26:32 EDT 2017

I have seen some proposals to require VAR capability in photoelectric
installations but how feasible is that?  I cannot imagine utility
customers being pleased with having to pay extra for such a nebulous
to them capability.

I could see the utility companies pushing it as a requirement in lieu
of installing banks of synchronous condensers.  Maybe this could be
integrated with net metering so that users get paid for providing VAR
correction and pay for VARs but I bet it would be politically
infeasible.

Thinking about the stability problems associated with distributed
generation gives me a headache.  I am inclined to believe that any
solution which relies on central management or timing is an invitation
to major failure.