[time-nuts] TAPR TICC boxed (input protection)

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Apr 11 09:18:42 EDT 2017

Hi

If you go back in the thread, it started out as a “general purpose front end” design. One of the
suggested parameters on that design was a high impedance input capability in the 1mega ohm range.
Noise on a hi-z input is always an issue and input protection just makes it worse.

About the only thing we have not dug into is the question of just how robust this or that protection
approach is. A setup that will withstand being plugged into an European 250V wall outlet for 24 hours
would likely be a bit more parts intensive than something that withstands the occasional exposure
to +12V …. This all may seem a bit “nutty”. It’s worth noting that the HP 5335 is not at all happy
if you drive it with a 5V square wave and set the input attenuator to zero db (= you probably blow out
the input).

Input protection does matter and getting it right is not a trivial thing. There will always be compromise.

Bob