[time-nuts] a link to a explanation of Rb vs Cs?

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Tue Apr 11 18:15:27 EDT 2017

The "magic" of Rb in a gas cell standard is that you
can make an optical filter cell out of radioactive
Rb87 isotope that allows you to selectively optically pump
to the quantum level you need.  It is just "luck"
that the absorption line falls where you need it.
And the RF pumping is at a doable 6.8 GHz.

I think the CSAC uses lasers so all of this doesn't
apply.

Cesium of course is part of the definition of the second,
so it's good to use for that reason.

It is a different discussion as to why Cs was chosen
to define the second, but the line being at 9.2 GHz might have had
something to do with it.  That's a doable frequency in terms
of technology 60 years ago.

Rick N6RK