[time-nuts] Mini-circuits ZFSC-8-1 a a reference distribution

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Apr 13 09:23:08 EDT 2017

Hi

If the circulators are good to 10 MHz and you have eight of them to play with, then certainly they can
be turned into isolators. Unless you have a really unique source of them, that kind of gets this out of
the cheap seats.

The “why” of isolation is very application dependent. Without knowing what you are trying to do, there is
no way to tell if it’s an issue or not. To some degree it’s one of those “if I can do it cheap why not” sort of
things. You do run into back feed issues in all sorts of setups. They can be a major pain to track down.
My main reason for mentioning it is because normal mixer isolation numbers assume pretty darn good
terminations. There are unterminated combos that also give good isolation. There are some that give
really rotten isolation. That’s right back to being a pain to track down ….

Bob