[time-nuts] Frequency counter questions

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Apr 23 15:48:58 EDT 2017

Hi

> On Apr 23, 2017, at 2:43 PM, Chris Albertson <albertson.chris at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 7:38 AM, Bob kb8tq <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:
>

>> If you want to do something like the 53131 or even the 5335, you will need
>> something a bit different
>> than the F7 to do it. They are wonderful MCU’s but not really fast enough
>> to do the fancy stuff.
>>

> Yes, But I assume he is not going to do the actual counting in software.

Except that’s not what he *said* he was trying to do. Thus the confusion and attempt
to clarify what he’s trying to do. We now have a half dozen people who are equally
confused about the task and no further input from the only person who actually
*knows* what he’s trying to do. If indeed you have registers and the like, then they
are probably in an FPGA. If you already have an FPGA doing the high speed stuff,
the need for the F7 is even more questionable. Yes it’s a $12 or so chip, what needs
to be done can be done with a $2 chip. Not only is would it be cheaper. It likely
would be faster and easier to get working.

Bob