[time-nuts] Trimble Thunderbolt no longer determines the correct date

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 15:20:06 EDT 2017

On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 10:24 AM, Brad Dye <brad at braddye.com> wrote:

> I read here on the Time Nuts messages that some are considering: "some
> in-line device that re-writes the serial data as it comes out of the
> Thunderbolt”

An in-line device makes sense if you don't have control of whatever you
have the T-Bolt plugged into.  This would be the case in a cell tower.

But if the T-Bolt is plugged into a computer in your own house, I'd think
it would be far easier to modify the software your computer runs.   LH and
NTP are the only two most of us would run and both are open source and easy
to change.   Four of five lines of code, max.

Building an inline device would be easy, even an Arduino could work but it
would need more software and time to write it than a simple patch to NTP or
LH.

Patches are free, and thousands of people can use them just by downloading
but an in-line device has to be built for each user.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California