[time-nuts] How well does GPS work in the Arcitic?

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 15 17:40:05 EDT 2017

There may not be a reason for GPS to not work at the poles... but I have seen GPS receivers that had hiccups at  the equator and know of some that had problems at the poles...   seems to be caused by math degenerating at 0 and 90 degrees.

The equator problem manifested itself as a reflection of latitude from negative latitude to positive latitude within a couple of km of the equator... this was before the days of well proven GPS simulators.  It caused some problems starting King Neptune's court on time...  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line-crossing_ceremony

I also know of a modern receiver that has problems crossing 90 degrees west (-90 degrees) longitude... It was a device developed in the far east and apparently never tested with a GPS simulator.