[time-nuts] Trimble thunderbolt accuracy expectations

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Dec 3 11:43:46 EST 2017

Hi

I agree that your TBolt likely had some sort of issue. That probably needs to be
tracked down independent of any other “quest”. First recommendation would be
to run the filter tune stuff in LH.

Accuracy, stability, and repeatability are all different things. They do bump into
each other from time to time. ADEV measures stability. Good ADEV is something
people do focus on. In a GPSDO, it may not go hand in hand with good accuracy.
Lots of corrections may give you good accuracy and lousy ADEV.

The biggest issue (even if you are NIST) with UTC accuracy are static offsets. The
delay through a piece of coax can be calculated. Delay through an antenna or a
receiver, maybe not so much. Since all antennas and receivers exhibit a delay,
comparing one to another may not be the best solution. There are relatively cheap
GPS simulators that claim nanosecond level accuracy. Rigging them to work with
this or that GPS may or may not be very easy.

The next layer to this is the ionosphere. We go round and round about this. It’s not
an easy thing to dig into. GPS has a model of the ionosphere that it updates. The
model is not very complex. It is not updated minute to minute. If you have a lot of
sunspot activity, this can be an issue. If you are at the low point in a cycle, it may not
be as big a deal.  L1/L2 receivers are one way to help with this in an active situation.

Over a lot of years, people have popped up with the observation that the best thing to
do with a clock is to just let it run. Don’t try to adjust it. Don’t poke at it. Don’t move it
around. Don’t change it’s environment. Just leave it alone. Observe it’s rate and compensate
for that rate with math.

Expanding any system to multiple devices tends to help reduce errors. Ten clocks
(each made a different way) are likely to each have their own odd behavior. The result
of looking at them as a group will be a better thing than just looking at any one of them.
There are a number of papers on this going back over a *lot* of years.

So enough yack, what’s the suggestion?

Set up a group of free running clocks and the gear to monitor them to something like 1 ns.
That’s not a massive endeavor these days. There are a lot of ways to do it on the cheap.

Set up something with good short term stability (OCXO maybe?) and synthesize your pps
from it. Aim for the same ~1 ns step level. Again, not a crazy hard number with the kind
of stuff that’s out there today.

Feed your data into a PC and look at what’s going on. Steer the PPS as best you can to
match GPS. Get the GPS to UTC offsets from the various internet sources. You have an offset
from GPS to NIST or USNO. You also have an offset from USNO or NIST to BIH. Correct for them
in your processing. Will. you hit 1 ns as a result or will you “only” get to 10 ns? Time will tell….

With 1 ns steps, the ADEV of your pps will not be super duper (when it steps). Your accuracy
will more likely be limited by things other than that 1 ns resolution. If you get to the point that
1 ns *is* the issue, there are ways to bump things up by an order of magnitude without spending
an infinite amount of money.

Also remember, once you move a foot, your 1 ns time needs to be corrected …..

Bob