[time-nuts] IEEE Spectrum - Dec 2017 - article on chip-scale atomic frequency reference

Bob Albert bob91343 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 9 13:08:30 EST 2017

 So we leave the scientific considerations and delve into the philosophical basis.  Somewhere down the line, a standard has to be established, to which all others can be compared.  How good this standard is doesn't matter, as long as it's stable.  But how does one measure stability?  Against what?
The fundamental standard is, I think, the revolution of the earth about the sun.  Even that is subject to significant perturbations.  If one takes, instead, the resonant frequency of a vibrating atom, as you say it is subject to some variation due to its environment.
So this elusive number will always remain elusive because of its very nature.  Yes, one can  refine the measurements, but still some uncertainty will remain.  And who was the one who said that all cesium atoms are the same?  I suspect each atom is unique, that its mass and charge and natural frequency and so on are different for every atom, even though very close.
One could then talk about an average of all cesium atoms but statistically that will only narrow the uncertainty about one order of magnitude.
So the answer to your question is, I believe, that there is no answer to your question.  Like slaves we are bound to refine our measurements even though we know we can never reach the absolute.
I ponder a moment and think, well it's probably about 10 o'clock.  I look at the clock and find that I am a few minutes off.  I think that's close enough for most of my life.  I bought a watch that is about a second a day in error so I find myself resetting it often.  I am the only one who cares.
Just a few thoughts in passing.  Go to the group called Volt Nuts and they go through similar agonies.
Bob