[time-nuts] IEEE Spectrum - Dec 2017 - article on chip-scale atomic frequency reference

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 10 12:31:51 EST 2017

A 30 cm daily vertical offset is pretty typical.  I've seen over 45 cm.   Horizontal offsets are usually less than +/- 75 mm per day with the longitude displacement typically twice the latitude displacement.

Heather uses a standard model  (see http://geodesyworld.github.io/SOFTS/solid.htm) to calculate earth tides.
I converted the Fortran code to C and use a more accurate routine for calculating sun and moon positions.  The gravity calculation code is from TVB's code.

Actual tides experienced at a given location depend can depend upon locally unique factors like underground geology and nearby bodies of water.  Compensating altitude for an optical clock would be considerably more complex.