[time-nuts] Simple open source microcontroller solution to tune DDS needed

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 13 16:19:06 EST 2017

On 12/13/17 12:56 PM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
> I should have said AD9832.  But that was just an example
> that would work.  I may choose a different one for whatever
> reason.
>
> Regarding the Arduino board:  that is what I would call
> a "daughter" board, which I can't have.  Is the Arduino
> board open source, so that I can just copy the schematic
> of it to my own board?  Is the Arduino software also
> open source?

yes to both.

There's also a fair amount of "non arduino" software that runs on the
arduino hardware platform (whether ATMEGA or Freescale or some other ARM
processor).

The pjrc.com teensy is available with pins sticking out, so you can
mount it like a sort of thicker than normal wide DIP.

I've built standalone designs inheriting the processor schematic from
the pjrc.com Teensy series (which use the Freescale parts which have a
built in USB interface, useful for me).

If you're used to cross compilers using the usual GCC toolsets, and
such, then you don't need the Arduino IDE environment (although it *is*
easy, and gives you a nice prototyping platform).  You can program most
of these chips using the JTAG interface, assuming you have a JTAG pod of
some sort.  That gives you a single chip solution that still has a
fairly clean development environment.