[time-nuts] Somewhat OT: Resurrecting a Symmetricom ND-4 Clock / Date display with a Raspberry Pi.

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Fri Dec 15 18:47:36 EST 2017

Hi all,

I've had a broken Symmetricom ND-4 NTP Clock sitting around for a
time, and it somehow turned into one of those OCD projects which I
just couldn't drop. I wanted an NTP display to show what my time is,
and this was such a simple device that the fact I couldn't fix it
really bugged me. Yes, I put in way more time than the device was
worth, but I ended up with an easy fix.

Last weekend I'd finally had enough and so ripped out the processor
board and replaced it with a Raspberry Pi Zero W, running NTP and
taking to the display directly.

It seems that these ND-4 / ND-2 devices used to be fairly popular, but
had a relatively high failure rate. They are also EOL.

If anyone has a busticated one, it's really easy to replace the board
with a Pi. I've put a short writeup here:
https://www.kumari.net/index.php/projects/random-projects/94-replacing-a-symmetricom-nd-4-processor-with-a-raspberry-pi
and the (trivial) code is here:
https://github.com/wkumari/symmetricom-nd4-python

idea in the first place.