[time-nuts] External cooling fans - source

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Mon Dec 18 18:11:48 EST 2017

 From time to time, the subject of external cooling fans comes up -- for
example, in discussions of the HP 5370A/B with their steaming hot
heatsinks.  I have several times recommended very quiet, all-metal, 4"
desk fans as ideal for the job, but have not been able to suggest a source.

Wandering through my neighborhood TrueValue hardware store recently, I
found the exact fan I bought previously.  Just to be sure, I bought a
couple more.  And yes, indeed, these are the exact items I have
recommended so highly in the past.  See photo attached below.

The fans are available from the TrueValue online store -- and at a
whopping discount from the in-store price ($8.99 online vs. $13.99
locally).  If you have a local TrueValue store that either doesn't stock
the fans or charges more than $9 for them, you can order online and have
them delivered to your local store for free.

Here's a link:

<http://www.truevalue.com/product/Heating-Cooling/Fans/Personal-Table-Fans/High-Velocity-Tilt-Fan-4-In-/pc/7/c/102/sc/1126/23003.uts>
  This is the black model.  For design-conscious time nuts, they are
also available in red and blue.

I have a stack of three 5370Bs at one workstation, and one of these fans
blowing directly at the heatsinks from close-up (about 6") and a little
below the bottom counter keeps all three heatsinks just warm to the
touch.  Without the external fan, you don't want to leave your hand on
the heatsink for more than a few seconds.

When I say they are quiet, I mean nearly dead silent.  Even if the
internal fans made no noise at all, you would still never hear the
external fan from in front of the counters.  (As anyone who has a 5370
can attest, the internal fans are very, very far from silent.)

The fan motors are open-frame, so when the bearings eventually go dry it
should be easy enough to re-lubricate them with synthetic oil such as
Mobil 1.  (I've had several of these fans running 24/7 for more than 5
years, and there is no sign of bearing issues so far.)

At $9 each, most of us can probably afford to buy enough to meet our
immediate needs as well as some spares to use with hot equipment we have
yet to acquire....

Finally, with a little ingenuity and some ducting, these fans can be
kludged ... er, pardon me ... retrofitted ... to other equipment.  I
plan to replace the internal fans in a number of obnoxiously loud
instruments (HP, SRS SR620, desktop computers, etc.), or to add fan
cooling to equipment that needs it (Collins HF2050, R390, etc.).

Best regards,

Charles