[time-nuts] WWV Receivers

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 11:31:59 EST 2017

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 11:27 PM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> > esp. if one uses a Chinese $6.50 incl. shipping HF  receiver off eBay;
> Could somebody give me a lesson in receivers appropriate for extracting
> time
> from WWV?
> Is $10 a realistic price?

Yes, this would not need to be tunable as WWV is at a fixed frequency.  I
have seen a receiver that uses a 10MHz crystal in the front end and then
mixes the signal to baseband then samples it with a PC "sound card".   $10
in parts easy

You extract the time in the PC software.   I say "PC" but a really low-end
computer like a Rasperry Pi would be perfect for this, maybe over kill but
you'd want the features of the OS to send the time some place

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California