[time-nuts] Vintage Frequency Measurement

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Feb 15 07:36:06 EST 2017


The link gives an error, but I have no doubt that the meaning of the term varies a bit. 
Thanks for the reference. I’ll try to get it working from here. 


> On Feb 15, 2017, at 2:28 AM, Robert Atkinson via time-nuts <time-nuts at febo.com> wrote:
> Hi,Sorry if I caused confusion by calling the SCR/BC221 a wavemeter. Clearly it's not in the wider usage of the term, and the manual and front panel call it a frequency meter. However the similar British device was called a wavemeter "Wavemeter Class D" http://www.vmarsmanuals.co.uk/archive/724_Wavemeter_Class_D_No2_Working_Instructions.pdfSo here in the UK the 221 was often also called a wavemeter. Classic wavemeters were also available for example the Marconi TF975.
> Robert G8RPI.
>      From: Bob Camp <kb8tq at n1k.org>
> To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement <time-nuts at febo.com> 
> Sent: Monday, 13 February 2017, 23:46
> Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Vintage Frequency Measurement
> Hi
> With a VFO running, you have a heterodyne frequency meter. That is (at least to me)
> a very different device than an absorption wave meter. I know way to put power into
> a BC-221 and use it as an absorption device. 
> I’m not in any way saying that the LM or the 221 are less useful. They are still to this day
> great little boxes. The just aren’t (by my understanding) wave meters. That term describes
> a different device that works a different way. 
> Bob
>> On Feb 13, 2017, at 5:52 PM, John Miles <john at miles.io> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts at febo.com
> To unsubscribe, go to https://www.febo.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/time-nuts
> and follow the instructions there.

More information about the time-nuts mailing list