[time-nuts] new year crashes

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Mon Jan 2 18:26:02 EST 2017

The number for the fiber is accurate.

However, fiber isn't laid straight path. I add at least 40% as a
precaution, as if laid on the sides of a square, where the original path
is the diagonal. This is however a very conservative measure to real world.

However, equipment delays can be much larger, and if you now have
buffers they can cause much much higher delays. How well the network is
managed controls the additional delay and it's variations.

You milage may vary, indeed.

These are among the things I need to know after half a bottle of wine.

Cheers,
Magnus