[time-nuts] σ vs s in ADEV

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Jan 5 07:19:55 EST 2017

HI

> On Jan 5, 2017, at 6:33 AM, Magnus Danielson <magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On 01/05/2017 01:26 AM, Tom Van Baak wrote:
>> Hi Attila,
>>
>> The plain ADEV calculation is essentially a measure of unexpected or
>> unwanted drift in frequency; which is the 1st difference of frequency
>> error; the 2nd difference of phase error; the 3rd difference in clock
>> time itself.
>
> ADEV is thus sensitive to linear drift, which becomes a limiting factor for higher tau.

Which is *why* the standard verbal description of ADEV always includes the qualifier
“drift corrected”. If drift is not removed from the data, ADEV is not doing what it should.
This gets overlooked when we take ADEV straight off of a cool piece of gear that is unable
to properly / automatically remove the drift.

Bob