[time-nuts] Temperature (environmental) sensors

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Thu Jan 5 15:54:04 EST 2017

Yo jimlux!

 On Thu, 5 Jan 2017 12:21:44 -0800
 jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I'm kind of curious about their "UI".. hold CapsLock? how does this
> device manifest itself to the host computer? I saw a mention of HID,
> so it is emulating a keyboard?

I received serveral off list requests, so I looked into this a bit more.

As I said before, I use temper-python on Linux to read my TEMPer's:

    https://github.com/padelt/temper-python

All you need to run that program is Python and the pyusb library:

    https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyusb/1.0.0

Python runs on pretty much anything half-way sane.  pyusb runs on
Linux, Windblows, OS X, and most POSIX systems.

The paranoids will want to run Wireshark in USB capture mode to be
sure nothing devious is going on.

RGDS                                                 Veritas liberabit vos
GARY                                                     Quid est veritas?
gem at rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588