[time-nuts] hm H Maser

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Jan 8 12:34:42 EST 2017

Hi

> On Jan 8, 2017, at 11:57 AM, William H. Fite <omniryx at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Bob, I think you're missing the point here. This is not the quest for
> utimate standards of accuracy/precision/resolution, it Is not about
> economic viability, or even attainability, let alone being "worth the
> trouble.".
>
> It is about a fun project. Fun even if it comes to nothing. Is that
> difficult to understand?

You are talking about a project that will take many years and likely
more money than the price of a new home. If that is “fun money”, then
fine. For most people that sort of commitment is a bit outside the range
of do it for fun.

Even as a “fun project”, I question the bang for the buck. If cost and time
are no object, why not do an optical ion standard or a Cesium fountain?
I would suggest that both are more cool than than a maser and likely
have a lot more fun aspects to them. You then would have something
truly unique and not simply a more expensive / poorer performing example
of something you could have bought.

Having been down this road before, there is a *lot* of physics involved
in any of these standards. You may not quite do the work to earn ( possibly
another) Phd in Physics, but if you do it alone, the learning will be close.

I’m by no means saying don’t do it. That is very much up to the individual
to decide. What I’m saying is that to have any chance of completing the
project, you need to face up to the costs (both money and time) up front.
If you don’t, this will simply become an exercise in thrashing around.

Bob