[time-nuts] hm H Maser

Javier Herrero jherrero at hvsistemas.es
Tue Jan 10 14:40:37 EST 2017

Hello,

Two kind of clocks were developed and qualified, a Rb and the PHM, and
it seems that this is the cost for the development of both (since it
mentions two on-board clock technologies). And this includes the
development of breadboards (EBBs, really full-fledged prototypes with no
qualified parts) and of qualification models (
http://www.spectratime.com/uploads/documents/ispace/PTTI_FCS_RAFS_PHM_2005.pdf
), designed and manufactured with flight-quality components since the
EQMs are submitted to all testing (thermal vacuum, vibration, life,
EMC...) to levels a lot more estringent than those applicable for a
commercial-use maser.

Taking into account that GIOVE-B (used as the in-flight test bed for the
PHM) cost was 72M€, surely excluding launch and deployment costs, I
suppose that excluding the PHM itself, it seem that 100M€ is the order
of magnitude for the development including in-flight testing platform.

Regards,

Javier