[time-nuts] OT: Eagle PC CAD now Autodesk, $500/year

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Jan 20 11:58:39 EST 2017

Hi

I completely agree that their spin at acquisition and the reality of what just came out
is completely amazing. They said they would never do this and that. What they are doing
is exactly what they said they would not do.

It’s a rare board that I do in < 4 layers. It’s also quite normal to have designs above
160 CM^2. If I have 4 layers, there *will* be signals on all those layers. That puts me
squarely in the $500 / yr subscription. A month ago that put me in a perpetual license
that I paid < 1/2 that for.

It is not just that the cost has gone up. A number of license “categories” have vanished.
The free version is still there, and just as useless for what I do. That’s about the only
one that is rational at this point.

So yes, I’m at least as bothered by this as anybody else. What I would suggest is to
take a deep breath, sit back, yell at them a bit (along with everybody else that has
a license) and see what they do. It is abundantly clear that they have a major disconnect
between this and what they have said. There is a lot of explaining for them to do. Part of that
could easily be another couple license categories. I’m certainly in no hurry to switch
packages.

Right now Fusion 360 is something I use a LOT  more than I use Eagle. This week (month .. year)
it is free for me to do that. Why is Fusion free to a basement guy and Eagle pay?
That’s not at all clear. Fusion is buggy as can be. Eagle needs some updates. Both
have a lot of development $$$ that they will be sucking up. Yes that has to get paid
for. It’s not clear that a revenue stream based on hobbyists paying $500 a year
is rational. My guess is Autodesk will figure that out. They may abandon the whole
basement thing, they may not …. we’ll see.

Bob