[time-nuts] 10MHz to 25MHz

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 21 10:25:01 EST 2017

On 1/20/17 7:10 PM, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> There are several other materials that you can make crystal resonators out of that
> are piezo electric. Some of them can give you much higher Q. This comes with a whole
> raft of other issues. Langesite is one of the more common materials you see people
> playing with. It is common enough that I’ve actually played with it myself.  The simple
>  answer is that when you look at cost, Q, and stability (aging, ADEV, temperature) —
> it is tough to beat quartz. If you have a few hundred thousand dollars, you can play
> with great big chunks of Sapphire. Toss in a bit of this and a bit of that and you can get a
> pretty amazing oscillator. That device may (or may not) be < $1,000,000 depending
> on how you do the accounting and how many parts you spread the costs over.

would not a true time nut grow their own sapphire?

Realistically, isn't it all about the crystal lattice.. SiO2 vs Al2O3 vs
Lanthanum Gallium Silicate vs Lithium Niobate

WHat makes a "good" material?  I would think the ability to grow a very
uniform crystal is part of it, but are certain crystal forms better than
others?