[time-nuts] Li-ion Battreries

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 03:43:26 EST 2017

No way will an ammo box explode and send shrapnel flying.  Even if filled
with machine gun bullets and tossed in a fire.  The rubber gasket fails and
the pressure escapes.  A slow burning object like a battery will never
cause steel to fragment.   If someone made a video it was faked

The purpose of the box is that first it offers mechanical protection in
storage and transport and second it is a heat sink.  If a few hundred watts
of energy is put into a small part of the box, the heat conducts to a
larger area and you have a lower temperature.

The box is designed to store ammo in a combat area, the box will not
explode if something inside of it catches fire.  The gasket would fail
first or it not the wire bail holding the lid would fail under minimal
pressure.   The lid opens LONG before the steel can bursts

If I wanted to make a dramatic video, I'd fill the entire box with gun
powder.  The lid would fly open and burning powder would to ejected into
the air and it would LOOK like an explosion

On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 6:25 PM, Mark Sims <holrum at hotmail.com> wrote:

> They can be if you store them in something like an ammo box.   If they "go
> off" in the sealed box the pressure builds,  the reaction rate increases
> exponentially,  and voila... shrapnel time.   There's a video out there
> showing the results.
>
> Most people recommend storing them in nomex/kevlar "cell bags".   I keep
> mine, bagged,  in an unused/unplugged oven!  If one goes off,  hopefully
> the flames won't spread to the rest of the property and the hinged oven
> door allows pressure to escape.
>
> Hobby RC packs are one of the most dangerous type of rechargeable lithium
> cells out there... even from "reputable" sources and brands.   A local
> hobby shop twice had  brand new name brand packs sitting on the shelf go
> off.  A friend of mine had the same thing happen carrying a just purchased
> pack home in his car.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California