[time-nuts] Problems with TAPR Oncore M12+ kit

Dave Mallery dave.mallery at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 13:36:17 EDT 2017

hi chris

i could not get TXD to flash till i connected the unit to Lady Heather
V5.01.

once the unit was communicating with the LH program (much serial wizardry)
all was well.

73

dave k5en

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 9:52 PM, Chris Waldrup <kd4pbj at gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone else received a unit they can't get to work?
> I got my unit finally boxed up a few weeks back. The PPS LED flashes and
> power LED and RXD LED's light but the TxD doesn't.
> I've ordered replacement MAX chips and 74ACT04 chips from Digi-Key but
> this didn't solve the problem.
> As a next step I've found a Oncore M12 board on eBay coming from China and
> this should come in a few weeks.
> No serial communications unfortunately.
> I've also tried swapping pins 2 and 3 on the DB9 just in case RX and TX
> were swapped (although I had originally built the cable as per the
> schematic with the kit) but still no luck.
> Thanks for any comments.
>
> Chris
> KD4PBJ
>
> > On Apr 29, 2017, at 11:10 AM, Chris Albertson <albertson.chris at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On this product people are going to want holes drilled and I think a "D"
> > shape hole for the DB type connector.   The holes would allow easy
> clamping
> > but in a two step operation.    If I were making these I'd first clamp
> the
> > stock over a pair of 123 blocks, mill the holes, then after I hade a
> batch
> > of these made,  hole the holes to hold the part a fixture and then mill
> the
> > edges.
> >
> > But that said, I could make a pair of these by hand with hack saw, file
> and
> > drill press in about 15 minutes.
> >

> >> On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 1:41 PM, Jerry Hancock <jerry at hanler.com>
> wrote:
> >>

> >> Generally, the way I mill plates such as these is I surface a piece of
> >> scrap and then glue (using superglue) the stock down onto the scrap.  I
> can
> >> then machine around the edges without worrying about clamping.  With
> >> pockets though, the torque even when ramping down might break the part
> >> loose.
> >>

> > --
> >
> > Chris Albertson
> > Redondo Beach, California

Dave Mallery, K5EN                 (ubuntu linux 16-10)
PO Box 15                              Ophir,  OR  97464

      linux counter #64628 (since 1997)