[time-nuts] HP5061B Versus HP5071 Cesium Line Frequencies

Donald E. Pauly trojancowboy at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 13:59:53 EDT 2017

https://www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts/2017-May/105566.html

A guy by the name of David W. Allan used direct multiplication to
build NBS-4 and NBS-5, see http://tf.nist.gov/general/pdf/65.pdf .  He
didn't see anything wrong with it.  He used a commercial frequency
standard modified from 5 mc to 5.006880 mc.  That in turn was
multiplied by 1836.  This was a multiplier chain of 2·2·3·3·3·17.
When multiplied to 9192 mc, this is 90 cycles low so the standard
would be forced high by 0.05 cps..  They measured the locked frequency
standard to determine the actual frequency of the cesium line.  I
propose NO multiplier chain.

What are the supposed problems in using a direct submultiple of the
cesium resonance?  It seems to me that all other techniques result in
more phase noise there.  I found the relationship 91.92631770
mc·(137,075/126,008)=99,999,999.98992 cps=100,000.000--0.01008 cps.
It is low by 0.1 ppb and therefore cannot be adjusted by C field
current.  The C field can only lower the frequency.  There is another
relationship that gives a higher frequency of a fraction of a part per
billion which is easily adjustable.  Perhaps HP was unaware that such
a frequency exists.

πθ°μΩω±√·Γλ
WB0KV