[time-nuts] Poor man's oven

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 08:13:54 EDT 2017

Here is a national new-technology of the art crystal oven from 1956:

http://tf.boulder.nist.gov/general/pdf/1642.pdf

Using the phase change properties of p-dibromobenzene it keeps temperature constant to 0.01C. It notes other organic compounds can be used for different temperature ranges.

Did this oven technology ever get beyond lab use and into the real crystal oven world?

I know in the past decade "thermowax" has been used in Honda lawnmower auto-chokes. I don't think it's ever supposed to be anything but solid, but it undergoes a phase change that causes it to expand by a large fraction.

Tim N3QE

Sent from my VAX-11/780