[time-nuts] uC ADC resolution (was: Poor man's oven)

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 19:43:30 EDT 2017

On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 2:17 PM, Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch> wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Jun 2017 16:37:27 -0400
> Bob kb8tq <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:

> . Heck, the STM32F4xx have so much internal noise that the ENOB
> of their ADC is below 6bit... so low that they even had to write an
> appnote on how to do averaging to get back to the 12 bits the ADC is
> spec'ed for. (but don't mention that to an ST sales person, they will
> hate your guts afterwards).

Can you actually get back all of those bits?   How many samples would you
need?   My current use case for the STM32 ADC is to track battery voltage
and maybe 6 bits is enough but if I can get to 12 with a software-only fix
I'll take it.  Batteries volts charge slowly so I'd have time to take many
samples.   It's a rather mundane application.  Controlling a battery
powered motor and I can't let theLiPo battery dichange below a limit so I'm
sampling voltage at 1Hz.   Got a link to or the name of the app note?

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California