[time-nuts] Fwd: Temperature sensors and quartz crystals (was: HP5061B Versus HP5071 Cesium Line Frequencies)

Donald E. Pauly trojancowboy at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 21:08:27 EDT 2017

https://www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts/2017-May/105566.html

I said that thermistors have been obsolete for 40 years not
themocouples. (With a FEW rare exceptions)  I do not consider platinum
wire to be a thermistor.  I own a 100 Ω platinum wire thermometer for
the DVM in my 2236 Tekronix.  It is not worth much without a Kelvin
connection.  From 0° C to to 100° C it changes 40 Ω and uses banana
plugs.  Those are unstable by ~ 0.2Ω.  This is 0.5° C of error and
intermittent.  It is worthless for designing ovens.

I use thermocouples in my Fluke 52 stereo thermometers all the time.
They will work at nearly red heat and are stable.  They are hard to
use because they only produce 40 μV/C° and require a cold junction
comparison.  The cold junction is easily calibrated by an ice bath
however.  Thermistors depend on the cauldron in which they were
stirred by the witches at manufacture.

In the range of -55° C to 150° C, I don't think anything can match the
AD590 or equivalent for repeatability, accuracy, stability, linearity
or convenience.  They are not affected by lead resistance and can use
tiny wires. It will tolerate 3,000 Ω of lead resistance and can be
multiplexed. The chip itself is 52 mils by 42 mils or comparable to a
thermocouple bead.  I figured out that two of them can be driven back
to back by a square wave and two temperatures monitored at once with
the same pair of wires.  An Analog Devices product engineer split a
$100 prize with me for my invention.

πθ°μΩω±√·Γλ
WB0KV