[time-nuts] BTTF : Austron 1210-C Crystal Clock

Jim Harman j99harman at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 22:43:51 EDT 2017

On Sun, Jun 11, 2017 at 9:01 PM, paul swed <paulswedb at gmail.com> wrote:

> But perhaps whats magical gold is the Patek Phillipe clock movement. Just a
> guess.I hear they are quite annoying clunkers actually. I have never owned
> one but a fellow in Europe was telling me you can really here them tick.

In my first job back in 1973 I inherited a lab that included what must have
been an HP 100C frequency reference. It took up most of a rack and divided
down a 100KHz oscillator with cascaded injection-locked 10:1 multivibrators
that used metal octal-base tubes. The final frequency of 100 Hz drove a
beautiful clock that made a very audible whine when it was working. This
must have been an option because I don't see any reference to it in the
100C manual.

At the bottom of the rack was a Hammarlund radio to tune in WWV for
calibration.

IIRC the clock motor also drove an adjustable cam and microswitch. The
receiver's audio was fed through the switch. I think the idea was that you
could accurately measure the oscillator drift by adjusting the phase of the
cam until you could hear WWV's tick during the short time the switch was
closed.

--

--Jim Harman