[time-nuts] GPS splitter

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Jun 18 11:37:56 EDT 2017

Hi

> On Jun 18, 2017, at 11:17 AM, David J Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> "David J Taylor" <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> .. or a ready-made, and smaller item:
>>
>> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1GHz-3GHz-2-4GHz-Power-Splitter-Combiner-2-Way-SMA-/141740586696
>>
>> I use this successfully for 1.09 GHz ADS-B splitting.
>
> Please be aware that this is a Wilkinson splitter and thus has a DC
> path connecting all three ports. You will need to add a DC block
> at one of the receivers.
>
> Attila Kinali
>
> In practice, what would happen if you didn't have the block?
>
> Say with two identical receivers?

As long as they both are powered up, noting much. If one looses power, it *might* try to power
up the other one via the antenna feed. With most receivers, even that would likely just be an
odd occurrence / no damage caused. The fear is that you have a receiver that *would* be damaged
by the back feed. With eight receivers into a coupler, there *could* be quite a bit of current available.

Bob