[time-nuts] Bye-Bye Crystals

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 11 22:39:14 EST 2017

On 3/11/17 4:30 PM, Scott McGrath wrote:
> From the tone of the letter it sounds like the bank cancelled line of credit,

Or, he wants to retire and nobody wants to carry it on.  His dad started
it in 1950, the son picked it up in 1970.  It's 47 years later.

> Which is stupid given that much of their line is military which is getting a huge boost in spending

Plenty of other crystal and oscillator manufacturers around.

There's also a change in what kinds of crystals are needed.   I suspect
most things being built and designed today use the crystal as a "master
oscillator" that is used to drive some sort of synthesis chain. The need
for "I have to have a 12.345,324 Hz crystal" is going away.