[time-nuts] Bye-Bye Crystals

David Armstrong d.b.armstrong at sasktel.net
Mon Mar 13 14:42:49 EDT 2017

I work for a company that builds electronics products, low volume,
highly complex units.

It used to be that you bought a crystal and then made an oscillator
that would use that crystal.  Or you had a single chip micro that used
a crystal for the time base, in the early days you might have to fight
with that oscillator to make it work acceptably.

Now for under a dollar one can have an oscillator without the hassle.
If the oscillator is a (very) small part of the unit cost, one can
spend the engineering effort on more complex parts of the design.

You can chose the parameters you want to optimize cost, phase noise,
stability etc.