[time-nuts] WTB: GPSDO

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 03:06:49 EDT 2017

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 1:09 AM, Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch> wrote:

> IMHO it's much easier to just
> get a known-good GPSDO and a rubidium for verification.

Yes, for sure it is easiest to buy something that already works.
But the question was how to bootstrap from scratch?  In other words,
if the only oscillator you own is one you built, how would you know
that it is working?

I actually did use your method.  I have a Rb and Thunderbolt, a pair
of freq. counters and so on.    But still I wanted to see if I could
build from scratch and verify proper operation and keep the budget
under say $50 for everything from antenna to power cord.     I think
it can be done but one can only verify longer term stability.

(Yes you were correct a GOOD oversized XO is not sensitive to the
environment.  But notice the above budget.)

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California