[time-nuts] Need HP 5061A setup help

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 16:47:09 EDT 2017

Skip,
There is a great deal of expertise as you know here.
So several comments to get the ball rolling.

The zeeman frequency allows you to establish the optimal beam current main
peak by changing the magnetic field. What this is really doing is
optimizing the state of the cesium atoms. Its physically separating them
further apart so that when the beam hits the B magnet the bad cesiums head
off to the getter. Thus the best signal to noise possible. I believe it
also enhances focus of the beams. Less dispersion.

Now there is no doubt you can use GPS to set frequency and optimize the
beam current. But that particular point might not be the best signal to
noise possible. That is the way I have always set Frankenstein since beam
is impossible to see.

Your last question is the hardest. Just use GPS and be done.
I am really interested in the groups answer to that.

All corrections to my lack of knowledge are greatly appreciated.

Regards
Paul
WB8TSL