[time-nuts] Optical Cesium or maybe Cesium "light"!

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Sat Mar 18 12:40:09 EDT 2017

Rick,

On 03/18/2017 05:32 PM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:

> On 3/18/2017 3:13 AM, Magnus Danielson wrote:
>> The NIST-7 was a optically pumped cesium beam, and a pre-cursor to the
>> fountain clocks. There should be a bunch of papers on it.
>
>> I am however somewhat wondering about if we will see this coming out of
>> Oscilloquartz. We will see.
>>

> NIST-7 has a reversible beam, which cancels out end to end phase
> error in the CBT.  That works in terms of being a frequency standard,
> but not for a clock, because you don't have continuous operation.
> NIST-7 is also much longer than the 5071A or the Oscilloquartz offering.
> So they are not really comparable beyond sharing optical pumping.

I think you misunderstood my comment quite a bit.
It is merely a suggestion to find more articles on the topic of optical
pumpning beams.

One problem with the NIST-7 is also the poor S/N. It was used more for
frequency than continuous clock, but free-wheeling on commercial clocks
helps for the ensamble behavior.

Cheers,
Magnus