[time-nuts] Time Dilation tinkering

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Mar 22 07:28:05 EDT 2017

Hi

In this case, the vacuum might work against you. You change the pressure outside
the package and you get a flex. Flex translates to dimensional changes. That gives you
a frequency shift. People make absolute pressure sensors this way :) Rb’s are by no
means the only frequency standard impacted by this effect. Precision OCXO’s have the
same issue.

If you had enough room inside the package, you could do a “can in a can” sort of approach.
The outer vacuum sealed can flexes. The inner vacuum sealed can does not see anything.
You don’t eliminate the sensitivity this way, you do attenuate it quite a bit with each layer.
The question then becomes - is is worth the increase in size? Since the pressure sensitivity
is well below many other environmental factors …. probably not.

Bob