[time-nuts] Time Dilation tinkering

MLewis mlewis000 at rogers.com
Wed Mar 22 19:40:41 EDT 2017

On 22/03/2017 10:56 AM, jimlux wrote:
> On 3/22/17 4:04 AM, Angus wrote:
>
> No tall mountains in Australia, but...
>
> Pikes Peak in the US is 14114 ft, 4304m and has a road to the top. Of
> course the base is at about 5000 ft/1600 m
>
> In EU, there's probably a Seilbahn of some sort pretty high up in the
> Alps, although probably not to 4000m.

I've driven a few passes in Colorado above 10,000 and one above 12,000.
Four are above 12,000 ft, highest at 3,712 metres (12,183 ft).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mountain_passes_in_Colorado
Nine of those are higher than the top of the Eiger.

http://www.dangerousroads.org/rankings23/1610-highest-paved-road-list-in-usa.html

If it's the difference in height in a day, one option in Switzerland is
the cog train to the Jungfraujoch. That's 3,466 metres (11,371 ft). The
Jungfraubahn is listed as 3,454 metres (11,332 ft). It's not cheap; with
my ski pass, I never went beyond the Eigergletscher.
You could start from Grindelwald at 1,034 m (3,392 ft) or from
Lauterbrunnen at 802 m (2,631 ft).
You can drive to either from Interlaken, and there used to be a train,
so you could start from 566 m (1,857 ft).

Michael