[time-nuts] Sub 20 ps time detection

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Mar 25 14:22:44 EDT 2017

Hi

One of the nasty issues doing something like this is the voltage tolerances. If you
are after 0.02 ns on a 2 ns edge, that is at the 1% level. If you want a 10X margin
to take the voltages out of the picture, you are now at the 0.1% level.

If you have 3.3V logic 0.1% is 3.3 mv. That is the sum of the voltage issues with the supply
on the detector side, the reference to your comparator, and the offset of the comparator. If
you are in a dynamic environment, things like temperature stability may have to be
factored into each of those budgets. You may also have ground offset issues to deal with.

How much this matters is very much a “that depends” sort of thing. Not knowing much
about the system involved does make this a bit of a guessing game. Sorry if the
guess is not applicable to what you are doing.

Bob