[time-nuts] How get FEI-Zyfer 380 GPSDO to talk with computer?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu May 4 01:35:40 EDT 2017

Yes, "gpsmod" is a name that make have been used of by many developers.
There might be many programs called gpsmon around.   But I think all this
one does is respond to NMEA sentences.   So it might be useful.

The first step in figuring this out is to look if there is any data coming
out.   Put a scope on the TX pin and see if there is data.  Then if there
is data pipe it to a terminal

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 7:24 PM, Bob kb8tq <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a nasty suspicion that the “GPSMon" Zyfer is talking about is not
> the same
> program that is part of the Linux package. It’s a fairly obvious name. I’d
> bet it got
> re-used a couple of times. The docs on gpsd refer to it’s own tangled
> history in this
> regard.  It’s certainly worth trying. I simply would not chuck the GPSDO
> in the trash
> if it does not work :)
>
> Bob
>
> > On May 3, 2017, at 9:49 PM, Chris Albertson <albertson.chris at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > gpsmon is part of the gpsd package.  http://www.catb.org/gpsd/
> >
> > But you can try simply connecting the serial data to a terminal window
> and
> > reading what comes out.
> >
> > On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 4:40 PM, James Robbins <jsrobbins at earthlink.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Has anyone gotten an FEI-Zyfer 380 to talk to a control program?  Can't
> >> seem
> >> to get it to talk to GPSCon or TAC32.  Supposedly, it wants a program
> >> called
> >> "GPSMon" but I do not find the program with Google.
> >>

> >> Jim Robbins
> >>
> >> N1JR

> >> and follow the instructions there.
> >>

> > --