[time-nuts] Looking for a HP-58503 display

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue May 9 16:21:07 EDT 2017

I've read about people making a replacement using a large LCD graphic
screen.   A micro controller reads the data lines going to the old display
and draws characters on the modern screen.    Not total rocket science to
implement but still  it would easier to buy try the easy fixes first (check
cap, transistors and such or even buy a "for parts not working " unit from
eBay.    But the only units do look nice with a new cell phone screen

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 12:42 PM, Gregory Beat <w9gb at icloud.com> wrote:

> Mark -
>
> Option 001 for the HP-5803B GPSDO
> featured a 12-character (alphanumeric) Vacuum Fluorescent Display (VFD).
> It appears to have been a custom VFD for HP / Agilent (Colons used in time
> display).
> http://www.leapsecond.com/museum/hp58503a/097-58503-13-iss-1.pdf
>
> Noritake Itron Corp. (Ise Electronics Corp.) of Japan invented the VFD
> technology in 1967.  Noritake, Newhaven, Futaba, Samsung, and a Chinese
> mfg. are the 5 major mfg.
> Three of these companies have their North American HQ offices here in
> Chicago area.
>
> Futaba in Schaumburg
> http://www.futaba.co.jp/en/display/vfd/lineup.html
>
> Noritake Itron Company in Arlington Heights
> https://www.noritake-elec.com/
>
> Newhaven Display in Elgin
> Company is more of an East Asian importer, but handles custom runs.
> http://www.newhavendisplay.com/vfd-c-586.html
>
> VFD do have a finite life, and darken as they age.  Samsung states 30,000
> hours to reach it 80% level (brightness).  You stated your unit has 83,000
> hours.
> DOUBLE CHECK DC Power and electrolytic capacitors associated with circuit,
> this has been known issue with commercial consumer appliances with VFD.
> The mfg. date on your unit may have been during "bad caps" decade.
>
> greg
> w9gb
> ==
> > I recently got in an HP-58503B GPSDO from a local equipment liquidation
> auction.
> > The unit has 83,000 hours of run time.  I think it was last powered up
> in 2013.
> >
> > The display (VFD) is a bit dim and blotchy.
> > Does anybody have a replacement display that would look better?
> > - Mark
> --
> Sent from iPad Air

Chris Albertson