[time-nuts] Fwd: HP10811 Oscillator Thermal Fuse

Donald E. Pauly trojancowboy at gmail.com
Tue May 9 21:48:34 EDT 2017

https://www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts/2017-May/date.html

I disagree about permanently jumpering the thermal fuse.  The
oscillator is rated down to -55° C and the oven can maintain 82° C at
that temperature.  This is a 137° C rise.  It is likely capable of
more heat than that.  At 25° C, it would therefore be able to reach at
least 25+137=162° C.  This is near solder melting temperature and
would quickly cook the components.  It is rated to work at 71° which
would give a temperature of 208° C and do serious damage.  That
thermal fuse is very important.  There are a dozen failures which
could result in a thermal runaway.

This web page discusses the fact that a thermal fuse should be 30° C
above normal operating temperature to prevent nuisance blows.
http://www.simonsdialogs.com/2016/09/a-thermal-fuse-and-hp-10811-60111-repair/
HP originally used a 26° C margin and later changed it to a 33°
margin.  This explains the frequent failures.  This poster used the
wrong type of fuse but the correct type is commercially available.

πθ°μΩω±√·Γλ
WB0KVV