[time-nuts] Machining some aluminum help!

Brent brent.evers at gmail.com
Thu May 18 13:58:21 EDT 2017

People's (mis)perception of machine shop costs always amazes me.  All too
often they equate the fact that they could do it themselves (inaccurately)
on an old drill press and then hand tap with what a real shop will do - all
while that real shop has a $100k - $500k investment in a single machine.

Yes it can be done cheaper, but not profitably.  Its why people end up with
25k pounds of machinery in their garage (nothing wrong with that).  Its
really no different than what you would expect if you took your rubidium
standard into a small, profitable RF shop and asked them to characterize it
- they would charge you going rate.  Which is why many of us end up with
1000's of sounds of test equipment in the basement or back bedroom - in
addition to the machine shop in the garage.

Brent