[time-nuts] The future of Telecom Frequency Standard surplus

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed May 31 22:07:08 EDT 2017

HI

Simple answer is: That depends.

A number of systems are going to network based sync. That moves the “good stuff” back to a central location. The local “mini tower” will
have some pretty basic parts in it. The number of mini whatever’s goes way up compared to an old style system. The number of central
bunkers is way down relative to an old style system.

Many systems are indeed going to much tighter holdover numbers. That is requiring either a much better OCXO or an Rb as a holdover
clock. The bad news is that the GPS functions and the tuning as well often move into the firmware in the base station. The GPSDO
as we know it goes away. The OCXO has no EFC so it’s utility outside a SDR setup is somewhat limited.

The world of telecom is a pretty big arena. Roughly 99% of what we see as “telecom” standards are actually cellular base station devices.
The comments above are thus targeted at that market. The stuff above will shrink the size of the wireless part of the market. As a percentage
the rest of the telecom world will go up as a result. We will see more unusual stuff in the 5,6,7,8,9 era and less wireless related precision
standards.

Lots of fun !!

Bob