[time-nuts] Designing an embedded precision GPS time

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Nov 1 09:01:35 EDT 2017

Hi

Unfortunately not all TCXO’s are created equal. It depends a bit on the
original intended use. I’d bet it also depends a bit on the original target
price. Perturbations  (frequency jumps) over temperature are one “feature”
that might be present. Hysteresis at half the temperature spec is another
“feature”.

Even within the same batch or same test run, some will be much better
than others. You stop the compensation process when they get “good enough”.
That will mean that a few are right at whatever the production target is and
others exceed the target by quite a bit.

While crystal curves are indeed cubic, there are higher order terms in the
curve. The “why” is something people get to write papers on.If you are trying
to compensate to tight specs, you will see all sorts of stuff. It is not at all uncommon
to see >9th order curves residual curves. Indeed some of that is from residuals
in the compensation circuit as well as from the crystal.

Why all this yack? A lot of people come from a background using OCXO’s. An
OCXO generally has a low order temperature characteristic. It also is rare to see
things like frequency perturbations in an OCXO. Moving from one to the other
can be a bit interesting.

Bob