[time-nuts] Why discipline Rubidium oscillator?

Dana Whitlow k8yumdoober at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 14:53:47 EST 2017

And even without problems like external magnetic fields, Rb oscillators do
drift with
age. Over a period of several years they may drift as much as ~1E-9, which
is a *huge*
error for serious time nuts.

In my pre-retirement job I rode herd on an active Hydrogen maser system,
and even
that has a clear drift tendency.  Generally a couple or three times per
year I had to
make a frequency adjustment in the neighborhood of 3E-14.  And still being
privy to
its performance, I was amused to note that its drift tendency was
interrupted by the
hurricane Maria.  On the day of eye passage over the site the frequency
suddenly
decreased by a few parts in 10^14, held about constant for roughly a week,
then
resumed almost its original value and drift rate thereafter.  If anybody in
this group
can explain* that* behavior (that is, held for a week before resuming old
habits), I'd
love to learn about it.

Dana