[time-nuts] Why discipline Rubidium oscillator?

Jerry Hancock jerry at hanler.com
Tue Nov 21 01:32:43 EST 2017

Thanks, Bob, I’ll have to start looking now.

I’ve been looking for other counters, I only have 5371a x 2 and 5335a x 2 and some other TeK modules.  I went back and was reading the time-nut counter thread from 2008 and will have to keep looking for something I want to afford.

Tonight I was plotting one of the rubidium modules Gilbert gave me against my Lucent GPSDO.  I was just measuring frequency and I had some glitches that I think are from triggering.  The stdev on some 2 hours runs were .0017 with a frequency of 9,999,999.956 average.  I have a new power supply coming tomorrow and I’ll be able to move it into a room where I can try to tweak it closer to 10M.

The Adev plot of the Frequency was sort of weird looking, sort of like a flattened “U” with the dip around 10E-15.  I would have thought it should be more like a typical downward sloping line. I’ll have to read up and see what this indicates.

So much to learn, so little time.

Thanks for all the pointers. Someone should write a book, “Time-nuttery for dummies”.

Jerry